Monday, November 12, 2012

Site Plan and Section Sketches

The site that I have chosen is a triangular site on a slope, where the base of the triangle is at the highest point and it slopes downwards towards the tip of the triangle. The effect I want to create of the building is the falling/flowing pages moving upwards in the direction of the incline.


The bulk of the building would be at the base of the triangle. I want the tip of the triangle to be an outdoor ampitheater type space. I would like the pages to flow over the space and come into the ground to form the screen for the outdoor space.



I'm still not sure how the interior of the building is going to work, whether the pages are an exterior shell or if it actually is the shape of the walls. I'm going to try to make it the shape of the building since it would be more interesting to experience these shapes on the interior as well.

One of the things I'm concerned about is getting light into the spaces. So I could probably stagger the pages upwards to bring in some light. Perhaps I could create more exterior spaces or incorporate the original bridge/tunnel idea from my previous experiments.

I know for sure that the auditorium would be on the ground floor. I'm not sure if I could excavate into the ground due to the proximity of the subway line. I would like it to be a large theater, perhaps with a balcony. I also know the elevator/stair core would have to be in the tallest part of the building, which is going to be at the base of the triangular site.

I'm going to create more study models to better understand the shape of my building.

1 comment:

  1. The auditorium is best on the ground floor for a variety of reasons. Your instincts are spot on. A strong recommendation is to frame it as much as possible with the building itself, more of a negative space or void than a form. Lighting is a key concern. Remember your earlier programming studies of which spaces required more, less and no light respectively. This will help your spatial deployment over the site and within the envelope. The lighting can be modulated by tweaking your papers and the interstitial spaces. Take a quick look at Bernard Tschumi's Le Fresnoy project. It is actually a collection of film studios and production facilities under a huge shed roof. There are a scattering of little structures under the roof, but the interstitial spaces are of more interest than any of the built structures.

    Another concept to look at as far as engagement/interface with the ground plane is the misalignment of the lowest level of the building with grade. Look at Beauborg's "rear" entrance (Pompidue Center, Paris)as well as any of Thom Mayne's buildings (in section). THere is a dynamism achieved through this disjunction which does not require huge depths of excavation.

    ReplyDelete