Monday, December 17, 2012

Model Progression

I began making my model. It's at 1/32" = 1'0"

 Here I have cut each of the individual floor plates. There are a few walls put up as well. Here is what the model looks like without the exterior 'pages' put on.


 


The roof is going to be a challenge. I know the roof over the scissor stairs and elevators is going to be a flat roof. However the other roofs are most likely going to be curved. Afterwards I created the exterior pieces.


It was tricky creating the right shapes, however my building is starting to take its form.







Its easier to understand the building on the physical plane. Since the majority of my work was done in CAD, it was hard to see how the pages interconnected. From the model I hope to improve my section and create my elevations.

1 comment:

  1. It is great to see some real volume happening. Modeling is the best way to get a down and dirty approximation of what you are working with. This will definitely inform your design as a whole.

    I am not sure form the Photos, but It seems that you have lost the proportions of "paper" in your cladding sheets. The nose piece has lost the felling of fluttering papers completely. I would also say that there is some lost opportunity in the articulation on the vertical surfaces. There is no rule which states that the sides of a building must be clad with vertically oriented surfaces. At this point it is futile to point out precedents to this extent rather than to encourage you to really get funky and push the boundaries of your comfort in form making. The worst thing that happens is that you have difficulty representing the physical model graphically. There is a great presentation technique which can overcome that obstacle. If this is the case, it can be worked through when the time comes.

    Try to bump up the scale. 1/32 is TINY. 1/16 is still small, but might be at the limit of your means in time and materials. If you can get up to 1/8" to really study the spaces, then you would have more freedom to really investigate the forms you are creating.

    ReplyDelete